Senior Safety Specialist
|Job Title:||Senior Safety Specialist|
|Location:||Melbourne C B D|
|Contact Name:||Rory Twomey-Birks|
|Job Published:||March 14, 2018 10:32|
About About Your future Employer:
Our client owns transport land, assets and infrastructure and strives to protect and grow the value of the portfolio, to support a thriving transport system, and make travel and living better for the public. With much of the asset portfolio dedicated to transport, land, infrastructure and telecommunication networks, our clients focus is on strategic asset management and supporting the delivery of better transport solutions. With a strong commercial focus this client is pushing hard to invest back into transport and communities.
Our Clients Vision:
* Is to grow a commercial corporation that supports the delivery of gov policy whilst achieving triple bottom line outcomes through a strong commercial focus.
* You will be reporting directly to the Manager for Network Management Systems
* Maintaining a close working closely with the Telecommunications General Manager, Group Manager of Asset and Risk, other Telecommunications Group Managers and Telecommunications Team Leaders.
* You will operate within a Functional "dotted-line' reporting line to the Group Manager of Safety , and work closely with the businesses Safety Team.
The Purpose Of The Role:
Reporting to the Manager, Network Management Systems (within the Asset and Risk team for our clients Telecommunications Group), the Senior Safety Specialist is to provide operational safety support in the implementation and maintenance of the integrated (Rail and OHS) Safety Management System (SMS) with specific emphasis on telecommunications, contractor management, and track side safety.
Your key accountabilities
* Will be the Safety Management System (SMS) In consultation with Group Manager Safety, you will implement and maintain a consistent safety assurance framework within Telecommunications Group in accordance with the requirements of our clients Safety Management System.
* Review the Telecommunication Group's adherence to the businesses Safety Management System (SMS); determine actions to address opportunities for improvement within the Group and monitor on an ongoing basis.
* Work across the Telecommunications Group to implement the businesses Enterprise strategic safety direction. Critical to this is managing the process of monitoring effectiveness and assisting with the identification and implementation of improvement potentials.
* Advise the Telecommunications Group on the Management of Change process.
* Monitoring and assessing health and safety strategies in accordance with legislative and standards changes.
* Assisting Managers with implementing new initiatives where required outcomes are not being achieved.
Audits and Investigations
The Senior Safety Specialist - Safety is required to develop and maintain an Audit programme, which is responsible for:
* Coordination of audit schedule and reporting of outcomes.
* Conducting 'SMS' audits to ensure compliance to legislation and policies.
* Maintaining audit documentation and records.
* Provision of audit reports to management.
* Review audit/non audit action requests and determine trends.
* Diminishing / eliminating work-related accidents.
* Conduct and manage Safety and OHS incident investigations as required
(in conjunction with the responsible Manager)
The Senior Safety Specialist is responsible for safety investigations and is required to:
* Gather the evidence necessary to identify to any causes of an accident, and to determine its root causes.
* Determine what procedures may have gone wrong.
* Document findings and recommendations that should be followed to prevent the accidents.
Trends In Training and Culture
* Provide authoritative specialist advice and information in Rail Safety and OHS, and contractor safety management.
* Ensure the Telecommunications Group has effective consultative arrangements in place.
* Conduct reviews to ensure the arrangements provide the required coverage.
* Coach and advise managers and supervisors on Rail Safety and OHS requirements and implementation throughout Telecommunications Group.
* Proactively review and maintain an awareness over recent trends and technologies that can help address safety related issues.
* Develop training programs on health and safety issues
* Facilitate training and other forums
* Strong Record Keeping
* In conjunction with Telecommunications Group Managers, develop and maintain the Telecommunications Group Safety Risk Register, while providing input into a Principal Safety Risk Register;
* Ensure comprehensive records are maintained, including producing and submitting timely, comprehensive and accurate safety performance reports and metrics as required;
* Assist the Group to enter safety data into our clients Safety Incident Management System.
* Develop and present safety information to monthly Telecommunications Group Manager Meetings.
* Responsible for reviewing and meeting all state and federal safety standard requirements for record-keeping.
(This includes a summary of all injuries that resulted in lost work time, restricted duties or job transfers.)
Ensure safety instructions are adhered to and report any inappropriate practices and incidents. Comply with the Occupational Health & Safety Act.
* Tertiary qualifications in Safety (desired);
* OHS Construction Induction;
* Lead Audit competency (desired);
* Safety Investigations (ICAM or equivalent);
* Safety Accessing the Rail Corridor.
* A high level of relatable experience in high risk rail construction or engineering environment, or rail operational experience.
* Managing risks within rail corridor and operational rail environment.
* The safe delivery of infrastructure projects.
* Managing risks associated with complex engineering environments.
* Developing and maintaining safety management systems.
* Knowledge of and experience in Safety in Design.
* Must be experienced in managing safety and risk (assessment and profiling) requirements on major engineering and construction projects (i.e. rail infrastructure);
* Change Management
* Ability to influence others;
* Project Management skills;
* Results orientation;
* A track record of working effectively with industry and project contractors;
* Knowledge of technical safety requirements in a rail/transport/construction/telecommunications/project setting
* Understanding and application of procurement models, commercial structures and negotiation strategies;
* Working knowledge of OH&S Legislation, Regulations and Codes of Practice, Quality Standards, Environmental legislation and other associated legislative requirements;
* Working knowledge of Rail Safety National Laws;
* Demonstrated ability to manage stakeholders;
* Working knowledge of contract delivery models;
* Excellent organisational skills and the demonstrated ability to respond to changing priorities and demands; and
* Excellent oral, written and presentation skills.
* Strong EQ / Interpersonal skills
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's